Polystyrene: Facts & Advantages
Polystyrene is a product that meets stringent US FDA
standards for food contact packaging:
FDA 21 CFR 177.1640
Today’s Polystyrene Packaging is
Safe, Affordable and Environmentally Responsible.
– Environmentally Preferable
• A Lighter Carbon Footprint – Foam polystyrene cups
weigh between two and five times less than
comparable paper packaging products. This means
fewer air emissions when transporting products
• An Energy Saver – A polystyrene foam food box
requires significantly less energy to produce than a
similar size pulp (paper / bagasse / EFB food box.
Decreasing energy usage is considered one effective
way to slow global warming.
• A Smart Choice for Recycling – Recycled
polystyrene represents an emerging market. A number
of municipalities are instituting effective
programmes to reclaim this valuable resource.
Post-consumer recycled polystyrene in some cases
becomes “green building” construction products. Most
single-use, coated paperboard foodservice packaging
materials are not recycled because the coating and
paper cannot be separated economically.
• The Landfill Myth – Polystyrene is not “filling
up” landfills. In fact, polystyrene foodservice
packaging currently accounts for less than 1 percent
by weight land-filled materials.
• Contributes LESS Greenhouse Gases – Coffee lovers
may be surprised to learn that one average weight
polystyrene foam cup produces significantly less
greenhouse gas emissions than two average weight
coated paperboard cups or one average weight coated
paperboard cup with a sleeve
– Designed with Food Safety in Mind
• Clean, Sanitary and Non-Porous – Polystyrene
foodservice products can help in providing sanitary
foodservice and preventing the spread of disease.
Reusable need washing and drying – the plate and
utensils you used earlier today were once used by
• Saves Resources – Reusable require water and
energy to clean. Using polystyrene foodservice
packaging conserves these important resources
• Insulative - Warm foods stay warm and cold foods
stay cold for a longer time. Fresh foods stay fresh.
From organic salads to spicy chili, polystyrene
packaging offers more convenience and dining
enjoyment for people on the go.
• Light-weight - It protects valuable shipments
without adding significant weight.
• Convenient - Nothing else offers the combination
of strength, lightness and durability to protect
valuable objects from crystal to computers, from
morning coffee to salad at lunch!